Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Prom

       Prom. Prom Prom Prom. What an iconic thing. What a bizarre, hyped-up, over the top tradition. Don't get me wrong, I love prom... well, I love dresses. There is something about prom that is so old-fashioned, so deliciously fifties, I marvel every year at it's ability to remain the social event of every high school each spring. The town I grew up in is very old-fashioned. We have white churches, fox hunts, and a park with a little pond, willow trees and a gazebo. The park in question, is Patton Park, and every prom night what seems like the whole town gathers there to take pictures of the gowned girls and tuxedoed boys. 
       This year Molly is graduating from high school, so are Ben and Becca. I guess you could say I had two sisters and a brother attending senior prom last weekend. These three people have been undeniably important to my life. Last spring I was in France, so I wasn't around for their junior prom. This year I wanted to make up for it.
       What bugs me about prom, is that everyone always ends up looking exactly the same. They shop at the same stores, and spend loads of money getting their hair and nails done at the same place. As someone who only bought vintage prom dresses to avoid the potentially devastating situation of someone having the same dress, I wasn't really intrigued or inspired by many of the dresses I saw the girls wearing. Molly and Becca's were probably the only two that really loved, and I'm not just being biased.


Becca's cupcake pink ball gown. Of course from Bananas. 

View from the back

Molly's self designed and sewn dress. Yes that is cookie monster on the front, yes the pattern on the skirt is of chocolate chip cookies. 

Close up.

And of course there was Ben, looking dashing in his tux, though I have to say his elephant suspenders (also from Bananas) were the star of the show. 


Ben and date

  
More dates


Again... dates... how fifties (note the fifties throwback band playing at the top. The Pipettes: Pull Shapes). I went to several proms when I was in high school. I went with boyfriends, girlfriends, best friends, but mostly importantly, always with a great dress. The best prom advice I can give is to get ready with your friends, wear something unforgettable, and make sure you find someone to spend the night that will make you smile years down the road. All my love Molly, Becca and Ben. You mean the world to me. 

                                                     Peace,
                                                                  Helen

PS. Because I know you are just dying to see them, my own prom dresses. Each one from a different vintage store around the north shore. 



No comments:

Post a Comment