So, we've all heard guys say before that women look their best wearing simply a white t-shirt and jeans. I have to say, I've never really believed that. I've never considered myself a minimalist and its hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that a white t-shirt can be the most flattering, the most alluring and the sexiest thing in a woman's wardrobe. Its not possible, right? It turns out, I was wrong. The white t-shirts you're about to see may be standard men's Haines cotton tees, but they are all completely, out of this world sexy, and here's why...
This spring at Bishops University I signed up to perform in the Vagina Monologues, a work of feminist activism theatre that has been put on countless times at theatre companies and Universities around the world since its debut in 1996. For a relatively new production, it's done wonders for raising awareness on violence against women and girls, particularly through its involvement with the V-Day movement. If you would like to learn more about V-Day, please check out the website here at http://www.vday.org/home
When we started rehearsals for Vagina Monologues our lovely directors Kai and Elle warned us that since there was "a lot of estrogen in this room" with 21 girls, things could get testy. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth. Every rehearsal we bond, laugh, and sometimes tear up a little as we share the different monologues as well as our own stories about men, vaginas, moaning, girlhood, and various sexual encounters. We've become a family of Vaginas, beautiful, healthy, happy Vaginas and we're excited to share our work with Bishops on Tuesday. Today in rehearsal we made our costumes, white t-shirts with various names used to call Vagina's written in big letters across the front. While the materials used to create these looks were the same, black sharpies and white-shirts, each person's costume is completely unique. Sometimes the handwriting is bold and uniform, other times its scratched hastily across or prettily drawn in soft cursive. I know its a little corny, but each one is special and different, just like our vaginas.
When asked why I wanted to be a part of Vagina monologues during the auditions, I stated that I love to talk about sex and vaginas. I have little to no shame when it comes to being open with people, but it's more that just that. I consider myself very lucky to have a voice. I can talk talk freely, without fear of retribution, on just about any subject I like, but there are so many women in this world that don't have that freedom. It could be because they are ashamed of something that happened to them, or scared that it could happen again. It could be because their families or friends wouldn't understand, or wouldn't want to hear their stories. It could be because their government is forcing them to keep silent. This is the biggest reason I wanted to do the Vagina Monologues, I wanted to give a voice to all the women in this world who are not able to speak. We are all in it together and I am doing this for them.
Please look at these t-shirts and remember what they stand for. Pussy, cunt, vajayjay, snatch, private, piggymonk, rosebud, box, twat, VAGINA, women. We are our vaginas, they do not exist separately from our minds, our bodies, and especially our hearts.
"The heart is capable of sacrifice, so is the vagina. The heart is able to forgive and repair, it can change its shape to let us in, it can expand to let us out. So can the vagina. It can ache for us and stretch for us and die for us, and bleed us into this difficult and wondrous world. So can the vagina." -Eve Ensler (author of "The Vagina Monologues")
These simple white t-shirts say all that and more. I realize now that they may be minimalist, they may be standard men's Haines cotton white tees, but they are unique and beautiful, just like the women wearing them. These t-shirts make a statement, we are making a statement, and that is what fashion is all about.
Peace,
Helen
Ps. The show goes up on Tuesday at 8 in the Gait, come check it out
Pps. check out a different version of one of my favorite songs at the top.

No comments:
Post a Comment